The Climate Service provides climate analytics to help the world’s governments, companies, and financial institutions measure and manage the financial risk from climate change. We are a fast-growing, three-year-old company, and our mission is to embed climate data into global decision making. We believe this will accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy, and help make the world more resilient to the most important challenge of our time.
Currently, we are recruiting for a VP of Engineering based in Durham who will work closely with our Analytics, R&D, and Product teams. We're looking for someone who is curious, enthusiastic and adaptable to join our growing team. The successful candidate will both architect the solution and get their hands dirty in the code, and play a prominent role in shaping the future of one of the world’s leading climate analytics firms.
About the VP Engineering position
The VP Engineering will work closely with the CEO and the Leadership Team. You will grow and manage the Engineering team, plan and manage the build of all product features, ensure service level agreements are met, and be responsible for the internal IT infrastructure of the Company. You will lead the team to constantly enhance the architecture, design, functionality, and performance of our cutting-edge Climanomics® platform.
What you’ll do:
- Leverage modern technology and patterns to maximize the value of the platform for the customer while reducing the total cost of ownership for the Company.
- Strategy & Planning
- Work closely with the Product team to provide the technical platform for the world’s best climate analytics product. Leverage technology to create differentiated value for customers.
- Work closely with the Analytics and Research teams to align milestones and support the delivery of customer implementations.
- Develop standards and procedures to achieve enterprise-grade security, scalability, maintainability, performance.
- Develop & maintain internal IT strategy, plans, and schedules to serve business priorities.
- Architecting & Designing
- Own the technical architecture of all Company products, and of the internal IT infrastructure & processes.
- Design technical solutions to meet the business requirements of customers and internal stakeholders.
- Managing & Executing
- Manage a team of data analysts, engineers, and developers, and lead the future expansion of the engineering team.
- Discovery & Design
- Efficiently translate customer requirements into technical design.
- Work closely with
- Development & Testing
- Manage the flow of work through the engineering team.
- Oversee and participate in development activities. Work hands-on in pairs directly with the development team to deliver user stories, discover and resolve defects, and identify and complete improvement opportunities.
- Lead and conduct functional and nonfunctional testing and perform troubleshooting and debugging.
- Conduct code reviews, approve pull requests, approve releases.
- Design, implement, and maintain n-tier environments, over multiple cloud providers.
- Design, implement, and maintain Extract, Transform, and Load processes including automated and manual secure data movement.
- Monitor SLA’s and respond to anomalies. Plan maintenance to keep environments functioning well.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation to accurately represent application design and code.
- Develop and maintain all architectural and flow diagrams for internal and external communication of technical structure.
- Develop and maintain all technology-related policies and procedures including security, business continuity, backup & restoration, user data handling, privacy, and others.
- Develop and maintain internal IT documentation.
- Provide operational, data, and technical support to customer implementations.
- Provide technical features related to customer implementations, e.g. API’s, customer integration efforts.
- Design and maintain internal systems including ensuring security and interoperability.
- Mentoring & Communicating
- Continually improve development operations, such as code management, regression testing, deployment, availability monitoring.
- Mentor and coach engineering staff and foster a team in alignment with Company values, encouraging the professional development of each employee.
- Regularly report the status of engineering strategy & plan to executives, board, advisors, and leadership team.
- Provide appropriate written, oral, and graphical communications to inform marketing, sales, RFPs, and technical whitepapers.
Who you are:
- At least 10 years of experience in programming and application development. Experience working on Software as a Service products.
- Experience working in a startup environment. Experience serving multinational companies.
- Proven experience in systems architecture and design in a multi-tiered architecture with enterprise-grade requirements for security, scalability, availability, maintainability, and performance.
- Extensive experience leading and participating in agile development projects. Extensive experience with DevSecOps tools including test-driven development, automated testing, continuous integration/continuous deployment, performance and availability monitoring, cloud-based logging frameworks.
- Understanding of penetration & vulnerability testing, international security & privacy standards, high availability design, performance optimization,
- Excellent knowledge of software architecture, design, and deployment patterns, e.g., Model-View-Controller framework, DRY code, refactoring.
- Experienced with Kubernetes and container orchestration.
- Strong communication, teamwork, and time-management skills
- An analytical mindset, a keen eye for detail, and the ability to adaptively respond to rapidly evolving client needs.
- BSc or BA degree in computer science or other relevant area; MSc or MA degree is preferred
- Burning desire to provide the world with ever-better insights on the impact of climate change
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and integrity are our company’s primary values. The Climate Service is committed to creating a diverse team, an inclusive work environment, and equitable business and management practices -- including our recruitment and hiring process. In committing to these values, we will be diligent in considering them in our ongoing assessment of who we are, what we stand for, and how we conduct our business.
If this role matches your skills, experience, and motivations then please submit your resume with a cover letter identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team. Apply as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you!
At this time, we are unable to sponsor H1-B visas. Candidates must have a valid work visa or be a U.S. citizen / permanent resident.