Join our mission to help more people live healthier, happier lives.
Pattern Health exists at the intersection of technology, behavioral science and health. We believe that thoughtfully built technology can inspire and accelerate digital health innovation to deliver more impact with less hassle.
We also believe that a diverse team that represents our customers and users strengthens our ability to develop innovative products and services. Accordingly, Pattern Health seeks team members from a broad range of backgrounds, cultures, identities and experiences who are engaged with and committed to the success of our customers and each other.
We’re looking for a passionate, skilled DevOps engineer to join our fast-growing team and manage the cloud environments for a multi-tenant SaaS product. We are a mission-driven digital healthcare company focused on building a high-quality, scalable SaaS platform. If you’re interested in joining a small team in a low-friction environment where everyone works together to improve healthcare, we invite you to apply.
A little bit about you
- You enjoy building, securing, monitoring, and improving cloud environments.
- You have deployed and maintained multi-tenant SaaS applications in AWS and have experience with the AWS security model and IAM.
- Your default solution is to automate everything. Python and Bash scripting are second nature.
- You have experience working with relational databases, including deployment, configuration, performance tuning, and data migration.
- You’re energized by working on a cross-functional agile product development team.
- You like to get things done.
- You effectively balance working independently and collaboratively.
- You’re ready to contribute a little of everything — deploying applications, monitoring system health, discussing architecture, troubleshooting errors.
Any of the following will help you stand out:
- Passion for software that runs smoothly, resists errors, and scales well
- Experience with network and host-based security tools
- Experience with metrics-based performance tuning, scaling, and system health improvements
- Knowledge of compliance frameworks (e.g. SOC 2, HITRUST)
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines and integration tools
- Worked in digital health, especially with data-oriented platforms
What you’ll do
- Build and maintain services in AWS to run the Pattern SaaS platform (including EC2, RDS, Aurora, SNS, SQS, KMS, Lambda, and system automation)
- Build and maintain services in GCP to run the Pattern web applications
- Work closely with the software engineering team to create and maintain an operationally-sound and scalable architecture
- Ensure availability and responsiveness of the platform
- Participate in on-call rotation
Technology & tools
- The deployment environments are AWS and GCP
- RDS and Aurora (PostgreSQL) databases
- CloudFormation + troposphere/boto (Python) for AWS management
- Datadog and CloudWatch for logging and metrics
- The server is Java/Dropwizard. Web apps are Angular/Typescript. Mobile apps are native using Swift and Java+Kotlin.
- Gitlab for source control (git) and continuous integration
- The team follows a lightweight Kanban process.
What we value
- Collaboration — Hard problems are solved by teams, and we value working together.
- Learning — Innovation starts with learning. We love to expand our knowledge and question things we think we understand well.
- Quality — Automated tests are the norm, and we long for continuous deployment.
- Security — Health data privacy and integrity are critical. We’re serious about security.
- Diversity — Different ideas and backgrounds help generate better solutions… and are more fun.
- Modern frameworks and sharp tools — Time is valuable. Let’s not waste it on bad technology.
- Work/life balance — Work isn’t everything. We strive to be effective and efficient, and also respect our personal lives.
This is a full-time position that includes a competitive salary, flexible remote work policy, health insurance, equity, retirement plan, paid holidays, discretionary time off and other benefits. Our headquarters are in Durham, NC, one of the highest ranked cities in the country for growth, entrepreneurship, affordability, smarts, dining and entertainment.
To learn more, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.