NoviSci seeks to improve the health and well-being of people through principled data science. Our science teams work with external collaborators to solve important problems in medicine and public health. Our software developers and data scientists build cloud-based, web-deployed analytic tools driven by the needs of our collaborative research.
We are currently hiring a senior software engineer to help us build the systems that help run and display rigorous scientific analyses performed by our data scientists.
Our Engineering Values
- We believe in Agile development principles.
- We value quality.
- We strive for the ideal and practice practicality.
- We hire team players who happen to be smart.
- We fight to maintain trust.
- We have freedom to make mistakes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build our data analytics web application using React, Node.js, Express, Redis, and MongoDB
- Become our leading technical resource in database systems and solving issues inherent in dealing with big data
- Build well-designed, quality, tested, and complete features, while following our best practices
- Work as a member of a development team to design and implement features
- Implement features and systems with scalability in mind
- Take ownership of your work from implementation to production
- Communicate effectively with people within and outside the development team
- Write automated tests at different levels of the code
- Mentor and advise junior software engineers and non-technical peers
- Willing to learn from others and from your mistakes
- Mastery of programming in a language of your choice
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies, tools, and concepts
- Understanding the pros and cons of different designs and implementations
- Eagerness to work using Agile development practices
- Ability to lead well in a flat organization
- Ability to communicate ideas and principles of software development to non-programmers
- Love of building software that delights users
- 7+ years of experience engineering a software product
- Experience developing robust back-end systems that can handle large amounts of data
- Experience with building complex, scalable web-based applications
- Experience with the AWS suite of cloud services
- Experience with containerized systems (Docker, Kubernetes) and build systems (GitLab, Bamboo)
- Previously used distributed computing systems such as Kafka and Spark
- Experience with real-world healthcare data
- Familiarity with the R programming language
- Matching 401(k)
- Nationally recognized health, dental, and vision insurance
- Great downtown Durham location
- Team social events and lunches
NoviSci, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.